The Knox Mansion was built for the family of Seymour H. Knox, owner and founder of the S.H. Knox Co. 5 and 10 Cent Stores, later Vice President of the Woolworth Co. and Chairman of the Board of the Marine Trust Co. Construction began in 1915 and was completed three years later at a cost of $600,000, which equates to about $13.4 million today. Designed by Charles Pierrepont H. Gilbert, a prominent architect of many houses on New York City’s Fifth Avenue, the original house included 25 rooms, excluding the kitchens, pantries, bathrooms, maintenance and cloakrooms.
Unfortunately, Mr. Knox never had the opportunity to live in his home, because he died in 1915 on the eve of construction. Grace Knox, her son Seymour H. Jr., and daughters Marjorie and Dorothy lived in the mansion after Mr. Knox’s death. Seymour H. Knox Jr.’s sons, Northrup and Seymour H. III co-owned the NHL Buffalo Sabres. The last Knox to occupy the home was Marjorie Knox Klopp. Today the Mansion is home to the Cellino Law Firm.
A 90-minute guided tour is held Saturday and Sunday, and reservations are required. Check website for complete details and to make a reservation.