Corpus Christi Church
A State and National Historic Site built in 1907, this Romanesque Revival style church is constructed of rusticated red Medina sandstone and is the work of Buffalo architect Karl Schmill. The most prominent feature of the facade are the twin bell towers that rise to 175 feet above the street. Above the high altar, in the semi-dome of the apse, is an adaptation of an early 16th century Raphael’s painting of the Disputa; a depiction of saints and theologians discussing [disputing] the nature and meaning of the communion host. Eight large stained glass windows, the work of the well-known studios of Franz Mayer & Co. of Munich illuminate the nave.