Founded in 1859, the 15 acres of Concordia is the final resting place for over 17,000 residents of Buffalo, including over 500 war veterans of which more than 150 are Civil War soldiers including members of the famous Weidrich’s Battalion First Light Infantry which is memorialized by a monument at Gettysburg.
Concordia Cemetery has long been part of Western New York’s history and in 2008 it was added to the New York State Register of Historic Sites and the National Register of Historic Places. Concordia was cited as a significant historic property because of its representation of Buffalo’s early German immigrant population and its collection of grave monuments of the period. It originally was created to be the burial ground shared by three German evangelical churches. The term “Concordia” means harmony and refers to the coming-together of the three churches.
The historic cemetery is manned by volunteers only, so calling for information before visiting is recommended.