- Eat & Drink
The Buffalo Central Terminal, built by the New York Central Railroad and designed by architects Alfred T. Fellheimer & Steward Wagner, opened to the public on June 22, 1929. At one time, this Triple-Designated Historic Art Deco station accommodated 3200+ passengers/hour and 200+ trains/day. The complex consists of the Grand Concourse measuring 450’ long, 60’ wide with 60’ vaulted Gustavino tile ceilings, 17-story office tower and the five story baggage building along Curtiss Street. The complex sits on a 18-acre site just east of downtown Buffalo and appears as a bookend to Buffalo’s Art Deco City Hall.
The Central Terminal Restoration Corporation (CTRC) was founded in 1997 to oversee the stabilization and restoration of the Central Terminal when Scott Field acquired the site from Samuel Tuchman and B.C.T, Inc. for $1 plus the assumption of back taxes owed to the City of Buffalo. The Buffalo Central Terminal reopened to the public in 2003 with a series of tours and open houses. Since then the tours continue, as well as a number of other events throughout the summer and fall.
The Terminal is now undergoing major renovations but will continue with its well-attended events and has adapted the tours to a “Hard Hat” view of the historic renovations.
Group Limit: 101-200
Tour Length: 1-2 hours