There’s something comforting about stepping through the front doors of Buffalo’s classic movie theatres – the smell of popcorn at the snack counter, the twinkling of lights down the aisle, the dimming of the house lights, even the creak of the old-time seats. Combine that with the spirit of the holiday season and you’ve got the recipe for a nostalgic experience unlike any other. Several classic Buffalo theatres cherish this time of the year by firing up the projectors to show timeless holiday movies, new and old. Here is what’s playing at Buffalo’s theatres this season:
673 Main Street, East Aurora, NY
This vintage movie house, the Aurora Theatre & Popcorn Shop located in the charming village of East Aurora, has just the right touch of modern flair. Check out their stacked holiday showings – all of which are completely FREE. All showtimes are at 11:00am.
• Arthur Christmas: Friday, November 24th, 2023
• Elf: Saturday, November 25th, 2023
• The Man Who Invented Christmas: Sunday, November 26th, 2023
• The Grinch (animated): Saturday, December 2nd, 2023
• A Christmas Carol: Sunday, December 3rd, 2023
• Christmas Vacation: Saturday, December 9th, 2023
• Holiday Inn: Sunday, December 10th, 2023
• The Polar Express: Saturday, December 16th, 2023
• White Christmas: Sunday, December 17th, 2023 (with sing along!)
• It’s a Wonderful Life: Saturday, December 23rd, 2023
North Park Theatre
1428 Hertel Avenue, Buffalo, NY
The Buffalo Evening Times called North Park Theatre “Buffalo’s Finest Neighborhood Theatre” on its opening day in 1920, this North Buffalo jewel continues its tradition of seasonal screenings with holiday classics:
• Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Saturday, November 18th and Sunday, November 19th, 2023 at 11:30am – tickets
• It’s A Wonderful Life: Saturday, November 25th and Sunday, November 26th, 11:30am – tickets
67 Webster Street, North Tonawanda, NY
Billed as the “Showplace of the Tonawandas,” the Riviera Theatre was built in 1926 and has remained a historic staple of the Tonawandas for nearly 100 years. Home to “the Mighty Wurlitzer,” the “Riv” presents a wide variety of entertainment including special holiday programming.
• Miracle on 34th Street: December 13th, 7:00pm – FREE
Hamburg Palace Theatre
31 Buffalo Street, Hamburg, NY
Take a break from your holiday shopping by catching a totally free flick at this theater jewel of the Southtowns. Check back as the Hamburg Palace Theatre hasn’t announced their holiday lineup yet.