Sacred Spaces Tour: Hellenic Orthodox Church of the Annunciation


Built as the North Presbyterian Church in 1907, the English Country Gothic style building was purchased by the Hellenic Orthodox Church in 1952.  Visitors will view the grand hammer beam ceiling interlaced with Greek crosses in the coffering.  The iconostasis with royal doors at the front of the church includes icons of the Annunciation, the Transfiguration and the Mother of God. The many stained glass windows by Lamb, Goodhue and Hardman studios portray figures from both the Old and New Testament. In 2002, the church was restored after an arson fire. The 2003 north transept window by Lamb Studios depicts Michael the Archangel extinguishing the fire. Annunciation Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Buffalo City Landmark.

Spotlight