Blog button

Special Offers


Save 10% on your...

Use Discount Code CVB10 at Not valid with any other offers, discounts, corporate, or promotional…
You've Got Mail!

Want to stay connected to Buffalo's cultural, culinary and shopping scene? Sign up for this and more, direct to your inbox!… more


Border Crossing: Border Crossing
Print Share

Border Crossing

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI, requires U.S. and Canadian travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. For additional information, including document options and requirements for special audiences, please visit

U.S. citizens returning home from Canada are required to present one of the travel documents listed here:

  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Enhanced Driver's License
  • Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as NEXUS, SENTRIU or FAST enrollment cards
  • Special Audiences (Special documents for U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, U.S. Military, Native Americans, and Boaters; birth certificates for children under the age of 16).

Canadian citizens entering the U.S. are required to present one of the travel documents listed here:

  • Canadian Passport
  • Trusted Traveler Program Cards such as NEXUS or FAST/Express enrollment cards
  • Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Special Audiences (Special documents for Native Americans and Boaters; birth certificates for children under the age of 16).

Suggestions for Crossing the Border
  • Have proof of citizenship (birth certificate or passport) readily available.
  • Have birth certificate for each child in your vehicle. If traveling with children who are not a part of your family, have a note or proof that the child has permission to cross the border with you.
  • Turn off radios and car phones when talking to border agents.
  • Declare all fruits, vegetables, plants and plant products, animals, birds, eggs, meat and meat products.
  • Declare all items acquired for personal use.
  • Resident aliens must carry residency cards at all times.
  • Dogs and cats must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans. Dogs older than three months must have proof of a rabies vaccination.
  • Don't fool around. Customs and Immigration Agents on both sides of the border are law enforcement officials who take their duties very seriously.
  • Don't drive under the influence of alcohol.
  • Be patient. Additional security has been instituted for safety on both sides of the border.
  • For import limits, click HERE.
Request a Touring Guide

Learn more about Buffalo Niagara by requesting our Touring Guide or view it online!… more

Download Our App!

Our iPad app brings you everything you need to know about where to stay, play, eat and shop in Buffalo Niagara… more