War of 1812 - Navy Week
- September 10, 2012 - September 17, 2012
- Location: Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park and other locations.
- Address: One Naval Park Cove, Buffalo, NY 14202
- Times: Events will be happening throughout the week at different times.
- Admission: Free
- Phone: 716-847-1773
- Venue: Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park
- Visit Website
One of the most highly-anticipated events for the bicentennial. The United States Navy will arrive in multiple vessels to showcase to the public, at the Buffalo & Erie County Naval and Military Park. This is a Signature Event for the Legacy Council. Tens-of-thousands of people are expected to attend. Full separate schedule coming. In addition to events held near the Naval & Military Park the Navy Band will be performing around town at the following locations: Old Fort Niagara, Downtown Central Library,Williamsville Library, Niagara Branch Library, West Seneca Public Library, Eden Library.
The culmination of all bicentennial events in 2012 is Buffalo Navy Week at the Park on September 10-17. U.S. and Royal Canadian Navy, U.S. Coast Guard and historic tall ships come to port for a spectacular week of activities to attract tens of thousands of visitors to Buffalo's waterfront, elevate our region internationally, and honor every Sailor, Marine and Soldier who has ever fought under the stars and stripes. These activities are made possible in part by a grant from the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation. Events include:
• A number of invitation-only Navy events on September 10-11. Arriving throughout the day on September 11 will be the USS Dewert, HMCS Ville de Quebec (both to be docked at the Lackawanna Gateway Terminal), USS Hurricane and USCG Katmai Bay (both to be docked at the Park).
• The Opening Ceremony of Navy Week on September 12 at 3pm. The week's public activities at Canalside will begin with a bang. After welcoming remarks from Park, Navy, and local dignitaries and the singing of the U.S. and Canadian national anthems, stand back to watch canon fire begin the "Greet the Fleet" Boat Parade.
• A "Greet the Fleet" Boat Parade in the Buffalo River on September 12 at 3:15-5pm. Local boaters are invited to join the parade for a registration fee of $50 each vessel. Registration includes admissions for two people to the Fleet Welcoming Party at the Park (see more information below). Additional party admissions are $25 per person.
• A Welcoming Party on September 12 at 5:30-7:30pm to show off Buffalo's great food, drink and entertainment to the 500 sailors who will be in visiting. Admission is $25 per person. Must be age 21 or older to drink alcohol.
• A Veterans Appreciation Awards Ceremony on September 15 at 2-3pm to honor the visiting sailors plus an individual and an organization that have made significant contributions to the Western New York veteran community. This FREE ceremony is open to the public and will include a patriotic tribute and regional dignitaries.
• An 1812 Bicentennial Gala on September 16 at 7-9:30pm will be an elegant cocktail party with food, drink and music to thank and send off the visiting sailors Buffalo style. The evening will close with music and a dramatic fireworks display.
• In addition to the Park's events, there will be dozens of FREE events at Canalside and across the community during Buffalo Navy Week. For a complete list of Canalside programming visit www.eriecanalharbor.com. For a complete list of Navy programming visit BuffaloNavyWeek.com.