The Buffalo Central Terminal opened to the public on June 22, 1929. Built by the New York Central Railroad and designed by architects Alfred T. Fellheimer & Steward Wagner, the Art Deco style station was built to accommodate up to 3,200 passengers per hour, or 200 trains per day. The complex consists of the main concourse, a 17 story office tower, a four story baggage building and two story mail building along Curtiss Street, and the now detached train concourse. The complex sits on a 17 acre site 2.5 miles east of downtown Buffalo.
The Central Terminal Restoration Corporation (CTRC) was founded in 1997 to oversee the stabilization and restoration of the Central Terminal. Local preservationist Scott Field acquired the 18-acre site, including concourse, tower, and four story baggage building along Curtiss Street, from Samuel Tuchman and B.C.T Inc. for $1 plus the assumption of back taxes owed to the City of Buffalo.
Buffalo Central Terminal reopened to the public in 2003 with a series of tours and open houses. Since then the tours continue, as well as a number of other fun events all summer long such as Dyngus Day, wine and beer festivals, art shows, car shows, train shows, and the annual Oktoberfest.